Popular Posts

Thursday, March 1, 2012

A List of the Best Places to Find Fashion For Less

Okay, like I said in my introduction I am always on the lookout for inexpensive finds. My journeys have led me to a few unexpected places along with some more obvious places. I want to throw out a few cautionary tips before I go into my budget friendly places.
  • Shopping the sales racks means you are buying out of season clothing. If you do this make sure the items you are purchasing are classic items (ie, pencil skirts, blazers, slacks and jeans) and shy away from the trendier items (ie, some prints, colors and statement tees). 
  • When purchasing accessories/shoes stick with colors already in your color palate. BUT, buy that funky colored scarf or handbag you've been drooling over. Shoes last a LONG time. I have had some shoes for nearly ten years. However, a handbag only lasts me about 4 months (I'm rough with them...).
  • As far as trends go... Don't let the clothes wear you... You own the clothes!! What I mean is, simply, this: I am not a girly girl, however, spring trends are leaning in a floral direction. Did I purchase a floral top? Of course! But I paired it with ubber-dark skinnies, nude heels and a brown biker jacket. I promise you, I didn't look like a girly-girl. My handbag also takes away from the ubber-girly trend of florals. It's tan and black and studded!!
  • KNOW YOUR SIZE! Whether you are a plus-size, a size two or somewhere in between, this is THE MOST IMPORTANT aspect of fashion! If you are wearing a shirt and/or jeans that are two sizes too small, no matter your size, you WILL look like a stuffed sausage!!! I live in Oklahoma so I see this A LOT! It is okay to be a plus sized woman! It is okay to be a size two! Again I say, OWN your clothes! Do NOT let them own you! Same goes for over-sized clothing. Do you want to look like you are wearing a burlap sack? Do you want to look 5 sizes bigger than you normally are? This is a mistake a lot of plus-sized women make. Whether they are trying to hide behind the fabric or do not truly know their size, it is tragic. Plus-sized women USUALLY have MAD CURVES!! Big boobs and a round bottom are something MOST women want. Own it! I will say right now, I breach the line. I wear a 36 H and I wear a size 12-16 depending on the manufacturer. Clothes can be a nuisance to me. I know the struggle of size and fit.
  • And last, pay attention to online sizing charts. They vary from store to store. 
Okay now that that is out of the way I will give in and tell my favorite places to shop on a budget
  • Wal-Mart Online - I realize my credibility might have just flown out the window for some people but I will tell you now, if you don't take the time to go through their women's apparel ONLINE, you are missing out. I bought a shirt from Wal-Mart not too long ago. I was impressed with the quality and the up-to-date style. It was the first item, other than groceries, I had purchased from Wal-Mart in a really long time... and I have to say, I didn't see a single item in the rest of the store that I liked. So I come home to look it up and post it to pinterest and I find some AMAZING steals! $15 dresses, $20 jackets! I was blown away.
  • Target - Same as with above... it's a little more expensive than Wal-Mart but not exceedingly so...
  • Maurices - Maurices is almost always featured (in some aspect) in Lucky magazine! I only know this because I used to work there and the Lucky outfits would be put on the mannequins! They even have plus-sizes!
  • FlirtCatalog.com - This site has a lot of the featured items from some of the top magazines in the nation. Dresses as low as $15 and shoes as low as $20. I will admit it takes some rifling through to find the real gems but it is worth it!
  • GoJane.com - This site is much like the site above... however, you will find trendier items here. This is not the place to find a classic, timeless look but it will showcase the latest trends and keep you within your budget!
So, these are the sites and stores in my fashion arsenal. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
 Happy Shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment